November 5, 2012

Fall Bottle Centerpiece


If you've visited this blog before, you're well aware that I like to make craft projects out of objects I have lying around my house. And this project is no different! Here's how I whipped up this Fall Bottle Centerpiece.


I started with four, brown glass bottles of old beer (you'll notice that none of the beer is seasonally appropriate- go figure, right?). 
 

After a few minutes under hot water, I was able to scrape and peal the labels off the bottles. Then I gathered a few more project materials (acrylic paint and a bundle of twine) and got to work!


I started by painting the word "fall" on the bottles, one letter at a time. Since I didn't need the paint to be permanent, I used plain acrylic paint rather than paint specifically formulated for glass.


Once the paint was dry, I started wrapping the bottles with twine. I anchored the twine with a bead of hot glue and carefully wrapped the twine around the bottles in two sections per bottle (one section on top of the painted letter and one section on the bottom).


And in no time at all, I was finished with the bottles!


When I first came up with this plan, I had hoped to put branches full of colorful leaves in the bottles (I'm sure you've seen similar things all over the blogosphere). However, Hurricane Sandy blew all of the beautiful leaves off the trees in my neighborhood, so that wasn't an option for me.


So I improvised and turned my centerpiece into a candelabra of sorts.  I grabbed some shorty candles I got at the dollar store a while ago and plunked them into the bottles


How's that for a seasonal centerpiece? 

FALL BOTTLE CENTERPIECE SUPPLY LIST
4 brown bottles
Acrylic paint
Twine
Paint brush
Hot Glue
Candles (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment